Parental Relocation and Parenting Plans

Move-Aways and Child Relocation

In New Jersey, a parent cannot move a child out of the state without written permission of the other parent or permission of the court. When a job or other event presents an opportunity to move out of state, there are many things to consider.

At the Law Offices of Leonard A. Weitzman, LLC in Bridgewater, New Jersey, I provide modification and relocation services to parents facing changes that affect the terms of their custody or visitation determinations. Contact me today to discuss your impending move in an initial consultation. Call (908) 458-9098.

Parental Relocation – Good Faith Reasoning

Parental relocation matters are fact-sensitive. The parent wishing to leave the state must offer a bona fide reason for the move. Perhaps the parent has a better job opportunity or wishes to raise a child with the support of family living in another state. In addition to giving a good faith reason for the move, the parent wishing to relocate must show that such a move would not be adverse to the children's interests.

Once a good faith reason has been established, I work with a relocating parent to take a proactive step in creating a new visitation schedule which outlines holidays, summer vacations, travel plans and above all, encourages parental contact with the non-relocating parent to help ensure that a court will approve the move.

Representing Objecting Parents

While I do assist relocating parents in securing permission to move out of New Jersey, I also work with non-relocating parents who have objections to parental relocation. My work in this capacity involves setting realistic expectations. I advise my clients of their rights and, if a move does not seem in the best interest of the child, will do whatever is possible to help prevent the out of state move.

In the event that a challenge to a parental relocation is unsuccessful, I work to expand visitation rights for the non-relocating parent and increase the responsibilities of the parent moving out of state.

Get the sensitive counsel and aggressive representation you need to address a parental relocation issue – whether you or your ex is moving. Contact me, Leonard Weitzman, today by calling (908) 458-9098.